testing reflex tuning with multimeter

More
13 years 5 months ago #10428 by nomis
hi,i need to test a bass reflex tuning,and want to prepare a little test circuit.i dont understand why i need a resistor in the circuit.i m not trying to test real impedence,just the port frequency.thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10429 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
I assume you have an Audio Generator

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 5 months ago #10430 by nomis
Replied by nomis on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
yes,a tone generator from a computer running a line signal into the amplifier.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10431 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
In the test circuit your talking about the voltage across the resistor is measured with the meter. If you don't want to use a resistor, you could always use the meter series connected in the circuit to measure the current. The results are suposedly less accurate but it will probably tell you what you need to know.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10432 by el_dj
Replied by el_dj on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
any guides anywhere to do this.. would like to learn this technic.. :)

More
13 years 5 months ago #10433 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
use a sine genarator, sweep frequency and see the frequency the cone speaker move the less. Very simple, no multimeter required, accurate.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10435 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
I seem to remember writing about about this a while ago, but here it is again. In the '70's before I had any analyzing gear, I did have a Audio generator and a multimeter. On a lot of early reflex cabs I did, the basic port opening was made one size. I had made a series of ports all with different lengths. Using the rule of achieving two impedance peaks of equal amplitude, I would sweep a signal through, and basically, the needle on the meter would move up and down. With a box with a hole in it, this happens twice. Adjustments were made until the two peak readings became the same. I then assumed, with my limited knowledge, that the cab was perfectly tuned for the speaker and the volume of the box.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 5 months ago #10438 by nomis
Replied by nomis on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
i did read your previous post,which gave me the idea.i just wasnt sure if i needed a resistor in line.the reason for asking is that i live in the middle of nowhere,up a mountain far away from the nearest electronics supplier.i could try and wind my own if it would help the results.thanks for the replies,ill try tonight, minus resistor,and see what happens.(and the 'wait for cone to stay still test' as well)

More
13 years 5 months ago #10442 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
according to Alain Pouillon Guibert (french designer of APG), the rule of the two impedance peaks of equal amplitude is a nonsense

More
13 years 5 months ago #10443 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic testing reflex tuning with multimeter
Matching the two impedance peaks sets the port tuning to the same frequency as the resonance of the driver. That doesn't mean however that the tuning is optimised for the application.

Using a series resistor is by far the easiest way to determine the impedance curve and thus port tuning.

I tend to set up a spreadsheet which plots the impedance curve as I go so that I can see where I need to take more measurements. Most of the time you can just do 5Hz steps but close to the peaks you need to do much smaller steps to plot the impedance accurately.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds