Cubo Kick 15

More
8 years 10 months ago #22770 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Cubo Kick 15
loaded up the 12" Cubo kicks with a pair of P-audio E series 200 watt LF's today and was super impressed with the output, tried quite a few freq settings, 100-240 hz was as Cubo has said the desired freq range. They give a lovely kick without any wadding inside the cab which really suits house music but I am going to put a little wadding in the chamber as there are some resonances when pushed hard I would say this is the cab not the driver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #22771 by SuperDon
Replied by SuperDon on topic Cubo Kick 15

Cubo15 wrote:

Well, results were very good

Always good, to hear good reviews, glad you like it.

I have already a couple of 18sound 15w700

That's a good in-between-driver. It will work in both Cubo 15 and Cubo Kick.

As Cubo Kick is about 40% reflex and 60% horn, some drivers will find a better loading by the reflex part and some will find better loading by the horn part of it. The 15W700 matches both parts about equally well.

Best regards

Cubo

Is there any other drivers that will match the above mentioned drivers performance but with a little more power?

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #22772 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15

The only issue I can see is if a t-nut rounds off

I haven't had a single problem with t-nuts (of any kind) anymore since my 3-step-program:

- Glue-ing the t-nuts in place
- Using slightly longer bolts to secure the driver
- Use a long greased bolt with large washers to pull the t-nut in

I'm using a thick glue that is applied on the entire contact surface area between wood and t-nut. Using a longer bolt to secure the driver so that the entire threat of the t-nut is loaded before any significant strain is put on it. I'm using richly applied ball-bearing grease on a bolt (solely used for that purpose and replaced in time) to pull the t-nut in, again the whole thread of the t-nut is used before any strain is put on it.

Sometimes when glue-ing the t-nut, especially when using mdf, you can feel the t-nut springing back up (1 mm or so) when the strain on the bolt, too pull the t-nut in, is released. In that case I let the glue dry with the bolt tightened, to ensure maximum bond strength.

how would the B&C 15CL76 preform in these kick?

Usable up to at least 190 Hz, also usable in Cubo 15, would be a good choice for 12V systems, considering the very low weight.

I'm curious to hear how a pd1550 would sound in these. Is it on the more on the low end emphasis?

Yes, output will be higher below 130 Hz, in exchange for slightly less output above 130 Hz.

I am going to put a little wadding in the chamber as there are some resonances when pushed hard I would say this is the cab not the driver.

That's hard to say when testing only one driver ;) However wadding will help prevent sound from the rear of the driver to exit through the ports, you could even close all ports and see how that works out for ya.

Is there any other drivers that will match the above mentioned drivers performance but with a little more power?

Generally speaking, drivers with the highest power handling that can be used in both Cubo 15 and Cubo Kick, will have: A 4" voice coil, a Mms between 80 - 120 gram, a n0 around 3% (usually because the Fs is in the mid to high forties), a gap height of 12 mm or less, a voice coil winding depth of 23 mm or less. Le around 1.75 or preferably less.

The PD.1550 mentioned above is good one and from 18Sound, the 15NLW9300 (neo) and the 15MB1000 (ferrite).

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Cubo15.

More
8 years 10 months ago #22774 by anjmoor
Just an update on the resonance issue I spoke of,, turns out it was a fluorescent light fitting in my studio rattling like a loon not the cab haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: pirata

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #22777 by pirata
Replied by pirata on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hi anjmoor, glad you had good results with the p audio 200s, while im waiting for my drivers to turn up I am building a cubo 12 kick 12 system for a friend, he is using Fane 12 300s in the cubos and looks like we will now be using the p audio 200s in the kicks, it won't break any world records but it should be sweet and balanced, we will also be using 18mm for the boxes as well, I get a good deal on certain amps so this might be an active system, see how it goes. :cheer:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by pirata.

More
8 years 9 months ago #22821 by Ganon
Replied by Ganon on topic Cubo Kick 15
In recommended drivers, you say the Eminence kappa pro 15, is it the lf, lf2 or the A?
We have the box and a Eminence kappa pro 15lf driver, so i hope it is suitable.

My friend who build it was pleased to build it and said it was nice and easy, really good build!
Looking forward to listen to it!
Thanks!

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 9 months ago #22837 by Cubo15
In suggested drivers I speak of the 15A, tho the LF and the LF2 will also work. The latter two will be optimised for lower frequencies, the 15A will be optimised for higher frequencies in the Cubo Kick working band width.

Best regards

Cubo

More
8 years 9 months ago #22843 by Foca_Dacian
Replied by Foca_Dacian on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hi ,can anyone re-upload the plans for cubo kick 15, the picture does not seem to be loading.

I am building 2 cubo 18 ext(gave up on more compact(20 liters less than Cubo) reflex boxes that I was planning to build ,do to lack of sufficient output/cabinet size for the reflex subs imh,also I had F3@46 hz with the reflex,as to the 40 hz that cubo's can give)

In the future I will build two more cubo 18 ext+2 cubo kick 15 so that I'll have 2 cubo ext+cubo kick 15/side, 10 inch mid horns+1.4 inch comps)
The drivers I use in the Cubo's are FaitalPro18FH510,at the moment with 12 inch tops loaded with 12PR310 and HF144 from faital pro also.
What driver from Faital Pro (looks like I'm a Faital Pro fan,or i can get them at good prices,don't know which one it is)do you recommend for the Cubo Kick 15,so that it keeps up with 2 cubo 18 ext/side loaded with my drivers.How does the 15FH510 sound like?(almost identical to 15FH500 which is recomended)

Have a great day,
Dacian Foca

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 9 months ago #22845 by Cubo15
I re-uploaded the plans, seems Imagevenue just made the picture disappear. The 15FH510 is definitely one of my favourite, 3" VC drivers from Faital. In general, the higher the EBP the better, in that regard it scores higher than the other two mentioned.

Best regards

Cubo

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #22966 by anjmoor
I have at last managed to do a half rig test with the Cubo kick 12's
I only lugged half the system to the yard.
Cubo 15 extended loaded with eminence delta 15 lf 4 ohm run off a w-audio da 1300.
Cubo kick 12 loaded with P Audio ES200s run off the other side of the da 1300.
Mid tops are the fane design loaded with the guts out of my old mid tops, port tubes not installed yet run off an Inter-m 500.
Crossover settings
Sub 40-110 hz
Cubo kick 110-240 he
Mid tops everything else above.
Videos here

More test videos on my YouTube channel
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by anjmoor. Reason: Forgot to add some text

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds