Cubo Kick 15

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #23938 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15
@tgeessounds: Well, the 15mb700 should be a close fit but a fit nonetheless.

His adaption looks like one of my earlier drafts, which didn't make it to the prototyping stage as it might give too much of an uneven loading of the cone on higher SPL-levels. From a scientific point of view I would love to know if he ever runs into problems or not.
Lush build though.

@IainB: For a first time builder that's a smooth build.

Best regards Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #23942 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Cubo Kick 15
So I went ahead an build a 4 way cubo kick tops
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tempest, el falaaa

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #23959 by Cubo15
Hey, that looks like the trap version of Cubo Kick!

And as you also have the original version of Cubo Kick you're the perfect person to tell me how the Trap version performs.Are those two holes for bullets?

Best regards Cubo

More
6 years 9 months ago #23982 by ricosound
Replied by ricosound on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hi Cubo !

I'm about to build 2 Cubo Kick 12" and I was wondering if you could spare some knowledge in the driver selection...

I have a couple of 18Sound drivers that I use on a SMT212, although I am having some difficulties in finding the 18Sound 12ND830 model in the US...I've looked everywhere in the web and the usual shops I use.

Although the model 12MB700 is easier to find ( I actually used this for the SMT212 ). I was wondering if it could be a good fit on the Cubo 12...from what I have seen in the specs this model has a quite similar frequency range, although the recommended enclosure volume is 10-80 Lt VS the 40-100 Lt of the 12ND830

Also the Vas value for the 12MB700 is 101LT( 3.57 cuft) and on the 12ND830 is a bit lower 72LT(2.54 cuft)....

The Faital models suggested as alternatives to the 12MB830 seems to have a closer specs range although I was wondering if the 18Sound 12MB700 could be still la good fit for this type of enclosure as I am quite happy with the sound on the SMT cab...

thanks a lot for any suggestion

More
6 years 9 months ago #23983 by ricosound
reading through the earlier posts I've noticed your reply on the B&C 15PLB76 being a good match to Cubo Kick 15.

The 12" version of this driver is also available here in the US so I'm wondering if it's a good match for the 12" version of Cubo Kick..

More
6 years 9 months ago #23986 by Nocturnal92
Replied by Nocturnal92 on topic Cubo Kick 15
Mr Cubo when you say these can be used down to 80 hz does that mean a 80hz crossover point? or does it mean 80hz is the limit therefore a higher crossover point is needed?

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #23987 by ricosound
HI Cubo,

I was looking at the drawings plan of Cubo kick 12" with some drivers on it to check if the volume of the driver fit...
I have realized that the Faital Pro12FH500 is not fitting as it's too deep, with it's 155mm depth it's hitting the back panel.

At least based on the my drawings, I've copied 1to1 Cubo Kick 12 plans in Illustrator then used these to cut and carve everything with a CNC. I've put together the parts without glue act just to check and everything fits ...so drawings should be precise.
I have attached a picture of what I mean for the Faital driver, 18sound ND830 does fit just right...

I have cut the baffle's hole right in the center of the baffle panel as it seemed to me the most logic position for it...

moving the hole slightly off center ( further away from the back panel) will allow for a driver such as the Faital12FH500 with it 155 cm of depth to fit in the volume.
So I'm discarding this driver because of this, I've cut everything already and I would like to avoid to cut another baffle piece with a displaced hole.

I'm narrowing down my choice of drivers to B&C 12" PLB76 , B&C 12"NW76 or 18Sound 12W700 based on different factors, size wise they should all fit the my Cubo boxes as depths are around 140 to 147 mm.
I'm thinking of using these Cubo kick as low-mid end kick reinforcement on top of 4 Cubo 12 and under an SMT112 ( a modified version of SMT212 with only one 12" driver and a 1" horn ).
Would you suggest any of the above in particular ?

thank you !
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by ricosound.

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #23989 by Cubo15
@Nocturnal92:

Mr Cubo when you say these can be used down to 80 hz does that mean a 80hz crossover point? or does it mean 80hz is the limit therefore a higher crossover point is needed?

The horn of Cubo Kick 15 starts to 'kick in' at about 110 - 135 Hz, so from there on you'll have maximum output. Below that, down to 80 Hz you have the largish port and the not-horn-loaded-driver doing all the sound output, so output will drop a bit.

Port output is at a maximum around the ports tuning, whilst excursion is at a minimum, so 80 Hz is a safe minimum.

@Ricosound:

Also the Vas value for the 12MB700 is 101LT( 3.57 cuft) and on the 12ND830 is a bit lower 72LT(2.54 cuft)....

Always look at the Vas in relation to the Qes/ Qts.

The 12" version of this driver is also available here in the US so I'm wondering if it's a good match for the 12" version of Cubo Kick..

I've not simulated that driver but it looks like an awesome horn driver.

I have cut the baffle's hole right in the center of the baffle panel as it seemed to me the most logic position for it...

Accidently, that's also where it should be as per plans ;)

I have realized that the Faital Pro12FH500 is not fitting as it's too deep, with it's 155mm depth it's hitting the back panel.

I would just take a router and take a chip of wood out the back panel, where the chassis touches. In fact you'll probably only need to cut a groove that's 5 - 7.5 mm deep and a couple cm wide/ high. See the added picture.

Best regards Cubo
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #23993 by ricosound
Hi Cubo,

thanks for the comments !

In regards to cutting a groove on the in inner face of the back panel ...yes it's a good solution which I will have to do based on which driver I'll pick.

I've built the back panel with a circular door access to the driver so that I don't need to remove the whole piece. Unfortunately I did'n look at drivers main volumes when I designed it and I;ve placed the speakon plate right in the middle of it...as you can see in the drawings the neutrik ports hits right into the back of the driver.
I will need to re-cut this piece and move the connector plate on the top part of the door.
Since I;m cutting this anyway I will look into the additional groove to host drivers with depth over 140cm more or less..

I did some comparison in the attached drawings and the only one among the selection of driver I did that fit nicely without cutting grooves on back panel etc is the B&C12NW76...the other ones I've considered all need a bit of carving.. I'm sure there are more that will fit the space I just haven't researched it further so far.

cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by ricosound. Reason: didn't add images

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #23996 by Cubo15
Good examples, great way to visualise driver placement.

Looking closer, you seem to have centred the driver on the middle of the baffle, as seen from the front. As per plans, they're centred on the baffle, as seen from the rear (the 18.75 cm depicted on the construction plan). This should buy all drivers 8 mm extra space, which would solve some problems.

Also note that the 12w700 has 4.5 mm compressible foam on the front, like as you corrected for on the other drivers. Might not solve your problem with the Neutriks but should contain all drivers within the limits of the cabinet (slot permitted).

Best regards Cubo

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds