file X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top

10 years 8 months ago #20233 by anjmoor
X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top was created by anjmoor
Rightly or wrongly I have proceeded to cut all the parts out as per plan for this and will be assembling over the next couple of weeks as a dry build, there is something about this speaker as a mid top or standalone full range that just seems to strike a chord with me, now I'm not going to do the usual " I hav'nt got much cash so I'm looking to do this on a budget" tosh, these are not small speakers and need everything to be just right to have them sounding right and I am not interested in modding them to suit certain drivers as I feel its more of a challenge to hunt out just what makes these work with a 1.5khz passive crossover.
I will most certainly go for a 2" comp and homework so far suggests that 1.5khz just may be the nearest marry for a 15" woofer to 2" comp for a fuller sound.
Having built cubo's and then modding the es-18 down to an es-15 to fit neatly on top of the Cubo's (pls don't ask for readings and graphs as thats above my pay station) I have pondered on new 12" mid tops to replace my 20+ year old ones but im not ocd or anything but just felt that why not just go 15" all the way.
My reason for this post is to call on some of your experience so as to not make a costly mistake, I know roughly where I need to be but am not confident enough and knowledgable enough to be trusted with money (according to the wife) ;)
As you will be aware some of the original parts used in this plan are no longer available thats why im putting this out to you legends!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #20447 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Re: X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top
A little update for you all, I have dry built an X-15 and as you all prob know building and using my rig is much more a hobby and they only get used every now and then but do get used properly and not just at gentle levels lol. I have made it my mission to build a half sensible rig using just eminence drivers and comps if only to satisfy myself that a reasonable sounding rig can be built using just these drivers which are priced more in the range of those who are not having to rely on their rigs for a living. Im still sat on the fence when it comes to actively crossing the 15" driver and the comp horn or going passive.
Anyway early pics of the X-15 here www.flickr.com/photos/anjmoor/

10 years 7 months ago #20463 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Re: X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top
getting there slowly

File Attachment:
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
File Attachment:
Uploaded with ImageShack.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave26

9 years 4 months ago #22319 by swan
Replied by swan on topic X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top
Hi ANJMoor

Looks very good. I also need to buil some mid tops. The X 15 looks like the way to go. I however have the Eminence Kappa pro 15 that will be used. I know it is more a sub speaker but sure would sound great. What Eminence components did you use and what was the end result. My appologies for reviving such an old post.

Regards

Andre

9 years 4 months ago #22335 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic X-15 Rog's Beast of a mid top
Hi Swan, once loaded I found the speaker to be too heavy and to be honest a 15" mid top was not what i was looking for, I will now be building some 12" mid tops instead as 12" midtop performs brilliantly above a 15" sub and kick as its not having to work too hard at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave26